Once you have booked an appointment with your family doctor, here is what to expect when it comes to the prostate exam:
- Usually you will be asked to stand, feet apart, facing the examination table and bending forward so that your arms or elbows are on the table.
- The doctor will put on a surgical glove and will cover a finger in lubricant.
- The finger will be inserted into your rectum.
- You may feel a little pressure (similar to the feeling a passing stool), but there shouldn’t be any pain or discomfort. (If it hurts, tell the doctor immediately.)
- A few seconds may elapse as the doctor waits for the external sphincter muscle to relax.
- You may be aware of some movement, as the doctor is feeling the lobes and grooves of the prostate gland.
- The doctor should tell you when the finger is going to be removed.
Overall the experience takes less than 5 minutes. What do you get in return? Well, a happy healthy prostate helps you ejaculate properly! It consists of smooth muscle tissue that helps you expel the semen. The happy prostate gland also produces a fluid that makes up 20% of your sperm. It actually makes your “little men” live longer inside of the woman’s vaginal tract.
So as you can see, there are a lot of reasons to make sure you Prostate Gland is happy and healthy!
Make your appointment today and start 2012 off right!
This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by the Concerned Bloggers Association. If you would like to become involved, please contact Marleen Vaughan for more information.