Why is the SL fashion folly so in love with Lady Gaga?
Like REALLY REALLY crap… Honestly, I would rather you bring back someone like Britney Spears than to insist on Lady Gaga. There are SO MANY cooler disco/dance music bands that are better suited (no pun intended) for the fashion industry.
So stop sucking on that MTV tit, and let’s introduce you to some great indie artists that truly deserve some fashion praise:
1. Scissor Sisters – I love this band. I first heard them a few years ago singing Filthy Gorgeous and you may recognize their music from the soundtrack to Party Monsters. They are delicious! Not only do that do disco club music, but they actually have some pretty fun lyrics. My favorite song is Take Your Momma Out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdJqbvPrY2c
2. Le Disko – Anyone that says “fuck” in a song pretty much gets my attention. “It’s a chance, gonna move — gonna fuck up your ego — silly boy, gonna make you cry” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUK25JJpLzg
3. Mika – SO MUCH FUN! Jesus. So much fun! Check out “we are golden” – you will wanna dance around in your underwear. Just make sure your neighbors you lift up the blinds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuKBY_ZVIAE
4. Hot Chip – This UK band stole my heart from the first song I ever heard. There is something about the guy’s that I absolutely love. If you go to their YouTube channel, there is tour and behind the scenes look at the band. I fell for them, even harder than before. Okee – there is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mdgLn5BFRQ
And this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3XWTKJGGzc and for your viewing pleasure:
… yeah. *girlish blush* I heart hot chip.
5. Jem – no not the cartoon, the DJ. Check out THEY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSLvcJ4I1mw)… sure, she’s not busting a crazy dance move, nor does have a team of metro-sexual men dancing about her. Hell! For that matter, she doesn’t have a huge nose and make lewd gestures with her tongue.
The fact is that pop culture and fashion are intrinsically linked, whether we like it or not. It just saddens me that Lady Gaga has become this icon of something that isn’t altogether new: marriage of pop disco and fashion. There are so many other great musicians that deserve the attention she has gained.
*gets down off soapbox*